Public Service and Work Experience
- 2006-present President, Ifa Heritage Institute, Oyo, Nigeira
- 1982–1990 Vice-Chancellor, University of Ile-Ife (now Obafemi Awolowo University).
- 1977-1979 Dean, Faculty of Arts, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife.
- 1975-1977; 1979–80; 1981-82 Head, Department of African Languages and Literatures, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife. (Wande Abimbola was the founder of this department.)
- 2004—2005 Distinguished Visiting Scholar in the Department of Liberal Studies, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY.
- 1999 Professor of Humanities in the Department of English, Colgate University, Hamilton, NY.
- 1998—2003 Professor in the Department of Religion, Boston University, Boston, MA.
- 1997 Professor of the Humanities in Africana and Latin American Studies, Colgate University, Hamilton, NY.
- 1996—1997 Fellow, W.E.B. Du Bois Institute & Department of African American Studies, Harvard University, Cambridge.
- 1990—1991 Scholar-in-Residence and Visiting Professor of Black Studies, Amherst College, Amherst, Massachusetts.
- 1980—1981 Visiting Henry R. Luce Professor of Comparative Religious Ethics, Amherst College, Amherst, Massachusetts.
- 1976—1990 Professor of African Languages and Literatures, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria.
- 1973 Associate Professor of Folklore, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana.
- 1971 Visiting Assistant Professor of Folklore, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana.
- 1966—1972 Lecturer, School of African and Asian Studies, University of Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria.
- 1963—1965 Junior Research Fellow, Institute of African Studies, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria.
Political, cultural and public service appointments
- 2005—to date Director, UNESCO Proclamation of Intangible Cultural Heritage award to Nigeria, Subject Matter: Ifa.
- 2003–2005 Adviser to the Nigerian President on Traditional Matters and Cultural Affairs, Office of the Presidency, Federal Republic of Nigeria, Abuja, Nigeria.
- 1995—1998 Member, Council for the World’s Religions.
- 1992—1993 Senate Majority Leader, Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Abuja, Nigeria.
- 1992 Special Adviser to the Governor of Oyo State, Nigeria.
- 1990—to date Installed as Asiwaju Awo of Remo, Nigeria.
- 1988—1989 Member, Executive Committee, Association of Commonwealth Universities.
- 1986—to date Installed as Elemoso of Ketu, Benin Republic.
- 1981—to date Installed as Awise Awo Ni Agbaye ( literally World Spokesperson for Ifa and Yoruba Religion).
- 1981—1989 Chairman, Governing Board, Oyo State College of Arts and Science, Ile-Ife.
- 1979—1982 Chairman, Oyo State Tourist Committee.
- 1978—1984 Chairman, Board of Directors, University of Ife Guest Houses Limited.
- 1976—1978 Chairman, Oyo State Broadcasting Corporation.
- 1974—1984 Chairman, Board of Governors, Oliver Baptist High School, Oyo.
- 1974–1976 Chairman, Oyo Zonal Health Board and Member of the State Health Council.
- 1971—to date Consecrated as Babalawo (Ifa Priest).
Other professional experience
- 1972—1979 Editor, Yoruba, Journal of the Yoruba Studies Association of Nigeria.
- 1970—1972 Editor, Lagos Notes and Records, Bulletin of the Institute of African and Asian Studies, University of Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria.